About the Program
The Mentorship Academy is a curriculum- and coaching-based approach to building the foundation for successful mentoring relationships between attorneys of different firms and of different levels of seniority. The Mentorship Academy consists of approximately 10-12 triads with one attorney from each of three levels of seniority: managing/senior partners, junior partners/ senior associates and junior associates. All individuals participate in large group sessions over an approximately 8 month period. These sessions will focus on a variety of issues including diversity in law firms, the junior associate experience, meeting mid-level career challenges and understanding the issues facing firm leaders. The individual triads also meet independently 1-2 times between each large group sessions to discuss assigned topics and questions.
Lane Vanderslice, Mentorship Academy Director
Mr. Vanderslice currently works in various roles with the Chicago Committee, the Center for Conflict Resolution, Probono.org (a South African organization attempting to develop a pro bono culture in the country), the Lookingglass Theatre and the Third Coast International Audio Festival. Previously, Mr. Vanderslice was Special Assistant to the Chairman of Mayer Brown, after having been their Partner for Associate Development and Recruiting for seven years. His work included providing career counseling to lawyers at all levels. Mr. Vanderslice received his undergraduate degree from Columbia College New York and his JD from Columbia Law School.
• Andrew Boris, Partner, Tressler Soderstrom Maloney & Priess LLP
• Michael Boykins, Partner, McDermott Will & Emery LLP
• Christy Fisher, Partner, Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP
• Richard Greenberg, Managing Partner, McGuire Woods LLP
• Reggie Hill, Partner and Management Committee Member, Jenner & Block LLP
• Sally Olson, Partner, Wildman Harrold Allen & Dixon LLP
• Steve Poor, Managing Partner, Seyfarth Shaw LLP
• Duane Quaini, Partner, Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP
• Gary Ropski, Managing Partner, Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione
• Jesse Ruiz, Partner, Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
• Eric Schiller, Partner, Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP
• Vince Sergi, Managing Partner, Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
• Jeff Sharp, Managing Partner, Marshall Gerstein & Borun LLP
The Mentorship Academy is a significant time commitment but is also an experience that is uniquely enlightening and rewarding. It can substantially further your own knowledge about diversity and mentoring issues as well as allow you to better shape your goals and career. For more information or questions about the Mentorship Academy please contact Gail Kim, Program Director and Director of Operations.